PACE K-8 Co-Op in Nevada City
Peace • Art • Creativity • Environment
- A unique personalized learning cooperative blending classroom and non-classroom learning
- Inventive and challenging standards-based curriculum that encourages students to investigate, problem solve, collaborate, and make thoughtful choices
- Hands-on, thematic projects requiring creativity and ingenuity
- A safe and supportive classroom environment where each student's gifts are celebrated
- Recognizing multiple intelligences in assessment and instruction
To create a program that effectively balances the best of homeschool with the best of a classroom community. At home, students engage in one-on-one personalized instruction, while at PACE, children collaborate, cooperate, teach and inquire.
John Dewey, a well known educational theorist, once wrote that in a classroom "acquiring" must not take the place of "inquiring". PACE is a program designed with the idea in mind that curiosity, the impulse to inquire, should be the driving force of education. That seeking ideas, imagining things, exploration, and interaction with a community of learners are the cornerstones of a solid educational foundation. This program believes learning can take place within a non-competitive, peaceful environment where each child is honored for his/her individual gifts and strengths while providing support for the child and his/her family in their educational goals. Life is your classroom. Pace yourself.